Alpharetta, GA asked in Domestic Violence for Georgia

Q: How can I get charges dropped on a domestic violence case

Me and my boyfriend have been together for over a year now and have a daughter together we recently got in a heated argument and things got out of hand and he ended up slapping me and some of the neighbors and kids outside saw and called the police I don’t want to press charges I believe we can work through it and he has never done anything like this with me before. What do I need to do to get him out of jail or for the charges to be dropped? Our daughter is only 2 weeks old and needs her father.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joshua Schiffer
Joshua Schiffer
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Roswell, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: The State controls the charging decision, not the victim, so you can make your feelings known however you do not get to "choose" what the State does.

If you want to help him, get him a lawyer who can plan a defense using your cooperation that is efficient and effective.

A good lawyer matters more in DV cases than other misdemeanors as DV is

a violent crime that affects your constitutional rights permanently.

Get a good local lawyer who knows your jurisdiction well.

Good Luck!


Priscilla T. Upshaw agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.