Greeneville, TN asked in Child Support for Tennessee

Q: my childs father and I are not married. So paternity form will be filled out. Will he have to go get rights and pay

He thinks he gets out free and visits whenever. Is this true or does he have to go get rights and will they put him on child support.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard Robert Grefseng
Leonard Robert Grefseng
  • Columbia, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: A child born to unmarried parents is, by statute, in the custody of the mother. To assert any parental rights, the father must file a paternity ( now called parentage) action, get DNA testing done to confirm paternity and have the Court/Judge establish the legal relationship. This means the father has NO rights until the case is heard, but this does NOT mean that you should deny him time with the child during that process ( you are now connected to the father until this child is grown, and therefore you want to have a cordial relationship with him during the coming years.) Child support will be established during the parentage action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.