Aurora, CO asked in Car Accidents for Colorado

Q: What can I do if I was not at fault and have witnesses involved ?

I was coming out of private drive onto 1-70 frontage road, I did yield for about 5 minutes before proceeding no cars were coming so I went for the left hand turn a car was coming but was back enough to have seen and did not break the speed limit was 35 and he was not going that speed the impact was so hard we did a full turn and was somehow pushed back in the direction we were coming out of. We were t-boned on drivers side my daughter was behind me and I had 2 other people in my vehicle he hit more of the back door behind me, I was given the ticket which I think is unfair as I did yield like I should have the other driver was obviously speeding way over 35 and was obviously distracted as he told us he didn’t see us when we were clearly more than half way in the road almost to our lane before he hit us what can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: Plead not guilty on the ticket. Contact a member of the Colorado Trial Lawyers Assn who handles injury cases. The problem you have is that you 1) pulled out 2) decided to make a left rather than go right and then execute a turn so that you can come out on a light. She will doubtless say you puilled out right in front. Do not give statements over the phone until you speak with an attorney--someone will read your "he was back enought to have seen...." as you saw him but insisted on coming out anyway. This is problematic as the duty of a person entering a road is not to do so unless it is safe. Likewise the duty of an individual entering iany lave of travel, and the duty of a person makeing a left.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.