Jonesboro, GA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Georgia

Q: Can you stop an eviction once a writ of possession has be ordered

I already went to court and had an eviction judgement attached is a writ of possession could i pay with in 7 days to stop being evicted

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anitra Walker
Anitra Walker
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: After the writ of possession is granted, the landlord contacts the Sheriff’s office to make arrangements for a Sheriff to supervise the landlord’s removal of a tenant who refuses to leave and/or the tenant’s personal property. At this point, it is too late to pay to stop the eviction, unless the landlord is in agreement. This gets tricky because once the court grants the eviction and writ you can still be evicted, even if you pay. The best time to negotiate and offer a payment would have been either prior to your eviction hearing or during the hearing. Normally at the hearing the parties are given time to negotiate.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.