Atlanta, GA asked in Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: If someone gets a entering auto, and the person who car it is drop the charges , can it get dropped to a misdemeanor?

Nothing was stolen from the car , it’s almost like he went to the wrong car , somebody else said something but that person doesn’t stay there anymore. I want to know if I can beat it , get it dropped all the way or get it dropped to a misdemeanor?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cawanna Anise McMichael
Cawanna Anise McMichael
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Carrollton, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: An experienced criminal defense attorney will be able to look at the evidence the State plans to use at trial in the entering auto case, evaluate the strength of the evidence, determine whether there are now witness issues with the State’s case, and determine if they can negotiate a more favorable outcome such as a charge amendment to a misdemeanor offense or a dismissal. There is a fair amount of strategy that must be utilized to obtain charge reductions and dismissals as they can only come from the prosecutor. I advise obtaining counsel so that he or she can look at the facts specific to your case and determine if it is possible in your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.