Canton, NC asked in Child Support for Tennessee

Q: My wife and I are filing an uncontested divorce. My question is, can we decide the child support payment?

Say the calculator says the payment would be 1200 a month and she only wants 500, will the court honor the 500 or will they make me pay the full amount

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard Robert Grefseng
Leonard Robert Grefseng
  • Columbia, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: In my experience, the judges follow the guidelines ( appellate court decisions says the guidelines have the same effect as laws passed by the legislature). The Judges are under a statutory directive to insure the child support law is obeyed. The guidelines do permit deviations, but only for a very good reason, so if you decide to attempt to get the Judge to approve the deviation, do your homework and be prepared to explain. The full text of the child support guidelines is available online through the State of Tennessee website- department of childrens services ( DCS).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.