Muncie, IN asked in Civil Rights and Probate for Indiana

Q: He wants to sell thehouse. If I can get into the house and change the locks, could he take any legal action against me?

My grandmother just past and left her house and all assets to me and my two sisters. My great Uncle was made the executor of her will. He is firm in his belief that everything has to be liquidated, that he has already had them appraised and had a yard sale without our knowledge. We have asked for the keys and been denied.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

A: Get a court order

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: Your great uncle might be right. Or he might be wrong. There is no way for an attorney to advise you without more facts, particularly upuncluding examining the will and looking at the total value of the estate compared to debts and expenses. Hire a local probate attorney to review the facts and advise you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.