Ottertail, MN asked in Traffic Tickets for Minnesota

Q: I got stopped for expired registration, I had the wrong tags on my vehicle due to my idiocy, the state patrol took my

plates, towed my car, and said that he was doing a long form instead of arresting me. I have finally found out that he was doing something called an administrative citation, and I still have yet to get my car because I have no money and no way to get there now that I do have the money needed, but they can't release it until I have new plates and tabs, which is the money I'm spending to get my car out of impound. I had read that in MN they cannot issue an administrative citation to a cdl license holder, which I am, do I have any recourse? Also, The Trooper after already being there for an hour asked me if I had anything he should be aware of, I said no, he then said that the other office which wasn't within ear shot, had smelled marijuana coming from my car, I don't smoke marijuana, not at all, and the only other passenger was my dog that goes everywhere with me. This was a k9 patrol, but he never even took his dog out to smell my car.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: If I understand this question correctly, it sounds like a money problem. If my vehicle won't be released without new plates and tabs, that sounds like the first priority with limited funds. Try calling Diversion Solutions for possible help on a payment plan for the Minnesota Department of Public Safety.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.