Defuniak Springs, FL asked in Probate for Florida

Q: How to proceed with probate of property in Florida?

My fathers mother passed away a few months ago. There are six siblings in all. They do not all agree on how the land with the home is to be divided. The will states that all assets are to be divided equally (only asset is the land and family home). One of the brothers had the land surveyed and divided leaving two of the brothers with unusable land. Can they force the sale of the property instead of getting shafted with what is offered to them?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ben F Meek III
Ben F Meek III
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK

A: The short answer is maybe. There are generally two options when co-owners are partitioning or being subjected to partition of land: (a) in kind (what has been proposed by the surveying sibling); or (b) by sale and dividing the proceeds. If one of the siblings files a suit or demand for partition, any party can object to the proposed partition in kind -- and setting aside one or more tracts that are worth less than the others is certainly grounds for objection. The various parties can make different proposals and argue their fairness. The judge will eventually decide which proposal is the most fair. Or the judge will decide that the only fair resolution is to order the property sold and the proceeds divided among the heirs. Either way, they'll need an experienced real estate or probate lawyer. can help them find one near them. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.