Jefferson City, MO asked in Landlord - Tenant for Missouri

Q: My landlord will not fix my apartment. We went a1 1/2 weeks without the use of the bathroom now the floor is fixed

now the water doesn't work in the sink and no pressure in the shower. Mutiple other problem but that's a big concern should I pay him rent?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer Sheila Kornblum
Jennifer Sheila Kornblum
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: All Missouri leases have an implied warranty of habitability. This means the landlord has to provide certain, very limited and basic, services in a rental. These include a working bathroom and heat source, for example. If you believe your landlord has breached the warranty of habitability, there is a procedure for notifying the landlord, giving them an opportunity to repair, and if they fail to repair, making the repairs and deducting the cost from rent. In order to make sure you properly follow the procedure and do not default on your lease you should consult an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.