Tualatin, OR asked in Family Law and Child Support for Oregon

Q: My child's father intentionally started working under the table, can he get support lowered and can my mom be a witness.

2 1/2 months ago my daughters father(we'll call him 'J') got fired from his job intentionally to bypass child support by not showing up to work. I now know from second hand that he is working under the table. (My mom received a call from J's mom, she asked if my mom had heard from him and was hesitant to say that he didn't show up for work that day). Since he voluntarily didn't show up for work and got fired at his previous job, and started working under the table(where he's obviously not been so good at showing up to either) is there any way for him to get childsupport lowered? If he files the modification of support will I get the opportunity to respond to the petition/schedule a hearing and will I be able to call my mom to the witness stand?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: The fact that he got fired doesn't automatically lower his support obligation. It will continue until the court orders a change. If he files to modify the support you can certainly argue that his past work history proves what his minimum earning capacity is. The court is likely to continue the support at the level ordered unless he can come up with a good argument why his reduced earning situation is permanent and not an intentional attempt to avoid support. Courts are aware of the games that people play and they don't allow people to get away with such shenanigans. But be prepared to offer witness testimony to prove what you suspect. Remember that you can subpoena witnesses such as the people he now works for under the table and the court clerk will issue subpoenas at your request. You can also prove people have illicit sources of money by getting their financial history and questioning them as to how they are paying for things that are obvious or that show up on their credit card or bank records.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.