Nashville, TN asked in Landlord - Tenant for Tennessee

Q: I let my ex wife move in to my spare room in hard times. How can I evict her?

My ex wife was going through a rough time and I let her move in to help. Since she moved in I have holes in the walls my personal property has been getting damaged and of course we have been arguing to the point of having the law called on more than one occasion. She has been threatening me with her boyfriend and been disrespecting my company when I have someone over. She has not paid any rent (she told me I didn’t have to pay child support but I still continue to pay that) she don’t help with utilities, she don’t help with groceries, she don’t clean up after her dog or her kids(the ones I am not the father of), and she don’t help with anything else in/for the house

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard Robert Grefseng
Leonard Robert Grefseng
  • Columbia, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: In Tennessee, the procedure is to give her written notice to get out. If she was supposed to pay rent, she has 15 days to catch up the rent. Then you file in general session court a "detainer warrant" ( the court clerk will have a form for you to fill out). Actually, it sounds like she is not really a "tenant," since there was no rent and no written lease ( I assume) and therefor e, she is actually a "guest" who can be evicted at anytime. Unfortunately, law enforcement personnel often do not recognize the difference, so your only option is to follow the usual tenant eviction procedure. Another example of the truth of the saying "no good deed goes unpunished."

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.