Atlanta, GA asked in Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: Thank you Justia. How will a misdemeanor trespassing* effect my acceptance status within private or public organization

Has my profile as a citizen appeared as damaged or untrustworthy due to a misdemeanor criminal tresspass charge?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Joshua Schiffer
Joshua Schiffer
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Roswell, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: It depends. Was it a municipal ordinance or a state charge? What is your status currently? How was the case disposed of? There are 5 ways to commit criminal trespass and the Federal Law does not match up with the State's terminology. Then there is what the policy of the organization is. Lots would not bat an eye, the CIA would care.

Since it involved immigration, go get a local lawyer who handles both and have them analyze the situation.

Good Luck!


Morris Margulis agrees with this answer

Morris  Margulis
Morris Margulis
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Duluth, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: PIggy-backing on Counselor Schiffer's adroit answer, whether a conviction matters to a potential non-public employer or association generally depends on that employer's or association's own preferences and concerns.

That being said, it is most likely preferable to keep the conviction off your record. Charges like Trespassing are typically easier than more serious charges to resolve without creating a discoverable conviction. There may be alternatives to conviction available or reductions that do not appear on your criminal history, depending largely on your prosecutor's attitude about your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.