Latrobe, PA asked in Adoption and Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: My sister and her husband returned their adopted daughter to children and youth services without notifying any family.

Several of us contacted children and youth services and expressed being kinship foster parents and kinship adoption as soon as we found out the child was placed into care. The caseworker is completely disregarding us as options even though we have had healthy, positive meaningful relationships with the child. What rights do aunts and uncles have in this situation? What should we do if we feel the caseworker is sabotaging our efforts to move forward with kinship care and adoptions? The caseworker has implied that the foster parents are a better choice than all the family members the child has had a positive relationship with over the past couple of years. One family member seems the best option for moving forward to adopt, but the caseworker keeps delaying the paper work and forms. We have already been excluded from the second hearing despite the caseworker knowing several family members have come forward to take the child into kinship foster care or adopt. What can we do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: It sounds like the one among you who you believe has the best chance should hire an attorney and go from there.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.