Dallas, TX asked in Family Law for Arkansas

Q: My daughter is 17 and her dad has custody and now she wants to come live with me What do we have to do where she can?

She live in Oklahoma and I live in arkansas

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dustin A. Duke
Dustin A. Duke
  • North Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: You would need to petition the court for change of custody. The petition would need to be filed in the county where the current court order is out of. Unless your ex agrees, you may not be able to change custody. In Arkansas, custody can only be changed (outside of agreement by the parties) where there has been a material change in circumstances in the custodial parent's home and where the change would be in the child's best interest. Although children, if old enough and mature enough, can have a say in where they live, they do not get to decide. The child's preference is only one factor the judge will consider. Hope this helps!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.