New York, NY asked in Family Law and Adoption for New York

Q: Me and my wife would like my step daughter to have my last name,she wants to change it also.

She has met her biological father once and he is usually mia and wants nothing to do with her. Hes currently incarnated(hes looking at 15yrs) and has never paid any child daughter is 14 yrs old and has had me in her life since 10 months old. Do we need his signature?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Based upon everything you have said, I would suggest adoption if the father will cooperate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.