Elkhart, IN asked in Personal Injury for Indiana

Q: My teen was sexually assaulted, the person was been caught and charged.

Is there any lawyer that would take my case on this matter, I want these people to pay for what happened to my daughter.My teen was sexually assaulted, the person was been caught and charged. I want to sue if possible him, the person who took the video and posted it online, also the home owner.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Armiger
Jonathan Armiger
  • Fishers, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Thank you for posting your question. I am very sorry to hear about what happened to your daughter. To answer your question, yes, I think you would be able to find a lawyer to assist you, and certainly, at the least, to advise you on possible legal remedies, one of which may be an action under Indiana Code §§ 34-21.5-1-1 to 34-21.5-3-4. Indiana Code § 34-21.5-3-1 provides for a cause of action when an intimate image of a depicted individual is created or obtained under certain circumstances and disclosed to a third party with intent to harass, intimidate, threaten, coerce, embarrass, gain profit at the expense of, or cause physical or financial injury or serious emotional distress to the depicted person when the person making the disclosure knows or acted in reckless disregard to whether the depicted individual was identifiable in the intimate image and did not consent to the disclosure to the third party. Under Indiana Code § 34-21.5-3-2, damages may include (1) the greater of economic and noneconomic damages caused, including damages for emotional distress, or statutory damages not to exceed $10,000.00 against each liable defendant; (2) an amount equal to any monetary gain made by the defendant from the disclosure, (3) punitive damages, and (4) reasonable attorney’s fees, court costs, and additional relief, such as injunctive relief.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.