Harvey, IL asked in Employment Discrimination and Personal Injury for Illinois

Q: Is this a strong case against my employer?

I got severely depressed when my asthma and allergies started getting triggered at work, because the employer never cleans. I got a tick bite from right outside of work and got Lyme Disease, there are documents. I didn't tell my manager in fear she'd talk. I went to work while suffering from Lyme Disease and while going through treatment. It was excruciating.

I've ADHD. I experienced discrimination about my inability to focus. I started medication afterward. I was also taken advantage of by two co-workers. My manager retaliated when I told her, so I walked out after being severely depressed and the CEO wanted to offer me something better. The HR manager and my manager didn't want me there anymore so they intervened when I tried to get in touch with the CEO. I feel discriminated against due to my religion and disability (these two managers have coerced another Muslim girl into quitting before). This all made me start therapy sessions, because it caused severe depression.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar

A: You really need to speak with an Illinois employment attorney, and since your post remains open for two weeks, it might be best for your to start efforts to contact them on your own, either through this site or through your own independent searches. You included Personal Injury as a category, but it isn't clear if you should contact a Workers' Comp attorney instead of a personal injury attorney. It sounds like the injury took place in the course of employment - if that's the case, contact a workers' comp attorney to learn what steps you need to take to preserve your rights in a workers' comp claim. If I did not understand the facts of your description correctly and your injury did NOT materialize during the course of employment, and it is just a straight personal injury case, I believe it would be a very weak personal injury case that most attorneys would not be interested in handling. You could check with a personal injury attorneys in your area to ask if they feel differently.

At any rate, contact an employment attorney and workers' comp attorney on your own at this point. You should be able to find ones that offer free initial consultations. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.