Grand Rapids, MI asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Michigan

Q: What could I do if a court came to a conclusion without a trial?

My friend is in a situation where he got into a fight with his dad, and it was going to court, but his dad talked to the prosecution office (my friend's dad used to be a police officer and he knows others in that field) and they came to an agreement and called off the trial but made a conclusion. The conclusion resulted in him having to work for his dad on weekends, wednesdays, and thursdays, and his dad ultimately has the power to go back to the prosecution office and change the agreement for what my friend has to do for his dad. His dad still picks fight with him and he has nothing to do with it. As I know of, it is illegal to come to a conclusion without a trial. Is there anything I could do or is it somehow legal to call off a trial but make a conclusion?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Is this a juvenile matter? If so, it sounds like the decision was made to put the case on what's called the consent calendar. Why would your friend want a trial in this case, and possibly face 1) a record (albeit juvenile), and 2) worse sanctions?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.