Brooklyn, NY asked in Real Estate Law for Maine

Q: We’re building our home. We are paying cash 4 everything. The land & home will be debt free. Do we need an occ permit?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
  • Yarmouth, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: You should contact your local municipal office to confirm, but the answer is likely yes, you will need a certificate of occupancy. 25 M.R.S. § 2357-A, titled "No occupancy without certificate; appeal," provides as follows: "A building in a municipality of more than 2,000 inhabitants may not be occupied until the building official has given a certificate of occupancy for compliance with the inspections required by section 2353-A. A building in a municipality of more than 2,000 inhabitants that has adopted or is enforcing the Maine Uniform Building and Energy Code pursuant to Title 10, section 9724 may not be occupied until the building official has given a certificate of occupancy for compliance with the Maine Uniform Building and Energy Code adopted pursuant to Title 10, chapter 1103, and in accordance with the required enforcement and inspection options provided in section 2373. The building official may issue the certificate of occupancy upon receipt of an inspection report by a certified 3rd-party inspector pursuant to section 2373, subsection 4. The municipality has no obligation to review a report from a 3rd-party inspector for accuracy prior to issuing the certificate of occupancy. If the owner permits it to be so occupied without such certificate, the owner must be penalized in accordance with Title 30-A, section 4452. In case the building official for any cause declines to give that certificate and the builder has in the builder's own judgment complied with section 2353-A, an appeal may be taken pursuant to Title 30-A, section 4103, subsection 5 or through an alternative appeal process that has been established by ordinance pursuant to Title 10, section 9724, subsection 5. If on such appeal it is decided that section 2353-A has been complied with, the owner of the building is not liable to a fine for want of the certificate of the building official. "

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.