Westland, MI asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Michigan

Q: How long do I have to ask my son's father if he will be taking him for his court ordered parenting time?

I was granted full physical and legal custody of my son. We agreed that my son's father would have supervised visits for 2 hours every Friday. The first visit I was supposed to drop him off then he would pick him up from then on. I have contacted him every Friday since to see if I should drop him off for his visit but he has not followed through with a visit yet. Do I need to ask every Friday for the next 16 years or at some point can I go back to life as usual and not block out those 2 hours for a possible visit? Can I request a change in the order if he does not make any type of attempt at sticking to the visitation? How long should I wait?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You can and probably should file a motion with the court asking to modify the parenting time order and cite his missed visits. Until a court says otherwise, you have an obligation to make the child available.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.