Asked in Contracts, Copyright, Collections and Trademark for Missouri

Q: Is it legal to draw up your own forms for Garnishing wages and use the Missouri Seal like the original form?

Hi, I live in Missouri and have a rental business. Every month I have to go through 1-4 evictions. Most judgments I get are never paid. This is an ongoing issue. To make things easier, I have created a spreadsheet that fills out forms for Rent and Possession, Unlawful Detainers and Garnishment forms with a click of a button. The forms look just like the forms the court use. The question is, are these forms legal and if so, is it legal for me to use the Missouri Seal at the top left? I added it bc I wanted it to look just like the original forms.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Rent and Possession petitions and Unlawful Detainer petitions need not be filed using the forms made available by the Missouri judiciary or your local circuit court. I am not certain but believe that the garnishment forms on the available at and your local court are likely required to be used as is and not tweaked by you. You could call the clerk's office at your court and ask.

As to the Missouri seal, as an attorney I certainly wouldn't use it in order to trick someone into believing the form was court-issued.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.