Saco, ME asked in Real Estate Law for Maine

Q: my Landlord threw away my stuff while I’m still paying rent , what do I do.

My apartment unit comes with additional storage in the attic of the building . Most of the other tenants do not utilize this storage, so most of the storage units are empty. Only a few of the storage units are actually labeled by apartment number, but when I went to put my belongings into storage, the unit that was labeled for my apartment had someone else’s stuff in it. Since most of the units are unlabeled and empty, I just picked an empty unit and put a padlock on the door with my stuff in the unit. Today , I found that the padlock on my unit had been cut, and all of my stuff was missing. When I called the maintenance staff, they knew what I was talking about , but they would not admit to doing anything , they just referred me to the property manager who has yet to respond to me. I don’t know what to do in this situation, do I have any legal rights ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
  • Yarmouth, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: Yes, but more facts are needed to assess your situation properly. For example, did you notify your landlord that you were using a storage unit that was not labeled for your apartment unit? I’m assuming you did not. If the landlord thought the property belonged to another tenant who vacated their apartment, then the landlord would typically have needed to follow the statutory procedures for property abandoned or unclaimed by a tenant following the tenant’s vacating the rental unit, which include providing a written notice to the tenant, before the landlord sold or disposed of the property. See generally 14 M.R.S. § 6013. As an initial step, you should try to find out if your landlord or the property manager provided the required statutory notice to anyone.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.