Sandy, UT asked in Contracts and Employment Law for Utah

Q: Do I have any legal grounds as after a promotion at my place of work, my wage did not increase and company will not pay?

I was promoted to a manager position in September. This was to come with a $.50 increase in my wage. I've just noticed today on a pay slip that my wage had not changed at all. After looking over this, my GM raised my wage to the appropriate amount but refuses to back pay as she does not have in writing the agreement of wage increase. The rate they changed it to is standard for managers in the store and it is clear in the system that I was changed from an associate to a manager in September. Is there anything I can do? It only amounts to around $300 dollars but it feels stolen from me. I am looking for other job opportunities now.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore
  • Spanish Fork, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: You can take them to small claims court. It will cost at least $100 to file the claim. You will need to show proof of when you were made a manager and started doing work that managers do. You will want to weigh the effects of suing your own company with the benefit of obtaining the unpaid $300. Finding new employment may solve the problem going forward, however, this could happen anywhere. I am sure in the future you will be looking at your first pay stub following the promotion to verify your pay has increased.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.