Franklin, TN asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Tennessee

Q: How do i get my daughters Name changed in tn.the mother passed away and she was the childs biological father.

Her husband has been out of the picture for 17 yrs.He said he will sign whatever i need signed.I have the Power of Attorney for care of a minor child form.But i am having a hard time with getting an audience with a judge.How do we go about being seen by a judge?So that he can officially sign off on the name change.thats the final step in this mess.Thank you for your time.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard Robert Grefseng
Leonard Robert Grefseng
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Columbia, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: A request to change a surname is a court proceeding: you have to file a written petition ( also called a "complaint" under the rules of procedure) and give notice of that filing to any persons or entities that my be affected by your petition ( and in your case, there may not be anyone else). Giving this notice is also called "service of process" under the rules of procedure. Once the other parties have been given notice/ or been served, a hearing before the judge can be scheduled through the clerks office. As already mentioned, the courts have RULES of procedure that must be followed by everyone ( there is no exception for the inexperienced). As a result, my best advice is to hire a lawyer to assist you with this, it will be simple ( and therefore inexpensive) for an experienced lawyer.

Anthony M. Avery agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.