Buchanan, MI asked in Collections for Michigan

Q: My son has to have a drug screening done once a year due to an ADHD medication. The last bill I received was may.

I have called the lab every month and they sent me 3 collection notices even through I paid without a bill. I called in October when I got the last collection notice in my 16 year old son’s name and the supervisor refused to put the account in my name without my birthday and social security number. I refused and she hung up on me. On November 22,19 I spoke with another person and said I would be more than happy to pay the bill if I got a monthly statement, she stated that she would get the information to a supervisor and get back to me, nothing! I called on December 3,19 to ask where my bill was since I have not received one in 6 months, they said oh we will call you back, nothing! My question is how much longer before I say enough is enough and I just don’t pay this bill? I’ve always paid before.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Alexander
Adam Alexander
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Southfield, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Not receiving a bill does not exempt you from owing a debt. I suggest you send them a certified letter requesting the full balance amount, the monthly amount due and a list of all payments made. If you do not believe the balance is correct, you should also deny that you owe that amount. The purpose of the letter is to both get important information and to document your requests just in case there is an issue in the future. (e.g. lawsuit).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.