Mechanicsburg, PA asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Pennsylvania

Q: can I take my ex-wife's boyfriend and his wife for child support if they completely support her?

ok so I have primary custody of my three kids. I pay spousal support to her. but the Ex-wife moved in with her new boyfriend and his wife almost a year ago. they pay for everything housing, food, car, etc.. am I able to take her and them and have there income added to hers for child support?

1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: No. They're not responsible for your children at all, so their income is irrelevant to any child support calculation.

But you may be able to argue that the lack of expenses for your ex-wife (due to their paying for everything) should be factored into your spousal support calculation. This could reduce or even eliminate your spousal support obligation, so you should look into this.

Best of luck to you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.