Asked in Adoption for Michigan

Q: Is there any circumstance in which a 14 year old might be adopted by a step father without being involved?

The child doesn’t know that the father isn’t his biological father — the step father tried 2 adopt him years ago but the biological father opposed it (the only thing he’s ever done “for” the child). Now the biological father is deceased. The step father has been the in loco parentis from the infant years together with the biological mother and is the biological father of the younger sibling. He’s paying for his education and is a father in every way for the child. He’s married to the biological mother.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: I believe with the child being 14 years old, the child would have to consent to the adoption, so there would not be a way to do so without his or her knowledge. But I think the stepfather very well could file for adoption at this point.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.