Tampa, FL asked in Collections for Florida

Q: Where to obtain key record of a debt filed as default judgment in court in 2003 collectors didn’t respond to prove it?

I doubt the debt filed in court in 2003 belongs to me . Collectors didn’t respond to my two certified letters asking them to send me original contract with the bank signed by me and the original date and amount of the debt at delinquency. It seems that they don’t have those documents because the debt was sold to different companies.How do I make informed decision if the debt belongs to me or it is an identity theft since I lived for eighteen years abroad? Do I have to submit a complaint to the CFPB or to the clerk at the court?I just came back to settle down in the states opened a bank account which was instantly garnished by the collectors without me knowing about the debt. How to deal with writ of execution of a default judgment of an unknown debt? Knowing that I don’t work have no income benefits or properties. And the default judgement was filed in another state where I am living now. Do I close my bank account which has zero dollars now to avoid monthly maintenance fees?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: This question is much ado about nothing important. If the debt goes back to 2003 it is uncollectible because of the statute of limitations. These bottom-feeders know that; and that is probably why they will not respond to you. And

whatever you do, do NOT agree to pay them anything--at least not before you ask a lawyer to advise you; paying anything on old uncollectable debts can re-establish the debt as current again--which starts the limitation period all over.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.