Chicago, IL asked in Probate and Estate Planning for Missouri

Q: how may obtain a copy of my uncle's last will & testament of which I am allegedly 1 of the included beneficiaries?

my uncle died in 2017. at the time i was incarcerated in the missouri state prison system. Over the phone i was informed by a family member that my uncle willed me an inheritance. The family member refused to tell me how much money i was entitled to. To avoid being heavily taxed due to the state's MIRA statutes, the family member had my verbal agreement to deposit a check that bore the amount of my inheritance into a joint bank account with both of our names listed as the account owners. since my release i have come to find out that the bank account does NOT bear my name as its owner or administer and I have no access to the account in any way, not even to check the status or balance. the bank seems to know the specialized terms of this account as they have mentioned to me cryptically when i was denied withdrawel. i was told the bank knows its my money but can't allot me any. i want my money. so i want to 1st see how much was willed to me by my uncle. how do i get a copy of the will?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: You can get a copy from the probate court where your uncle's probate case was commenced.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Todd Miller
Todd Miller
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Jefferson City, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: If the Will was probated, it is a public record and a copy may be obtained from the clerk of the court in the county where the decedent last resided. For what it's worth, if a probate estate was opened and you weren't notified by mail of any proceedings, there isn't much of a chance that you were included in the Will.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.