Nashville, TN asked in Contracts, Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Tennessee

Q: I have a 1yr signed lease can the new landlord make me leave before the 1yr If have a lease from the previous landlord?

The new landlord got the property I’m currently at in a recent divorce but I just moved in three months ago and the new landlord sent a letter stating I have till Jan 20 to leave and she’s not returning my security deposit that I’d have to get it from the previous landlord. I have receipts where I have paid rent on time since living here and have a lease for a year is there anything I can do to keep the year lease at least cuz I don’t have a place to go or the money to up and move

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. James Charles Wright
Mr. James Charles Wright
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: If you have a lease term- it can not be shortened by simply a change in the ownership of the property- unless there is language in the lease that would make the lease terminable- which would be unusual. Usually the new owner takes subject to the lease.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.