Fort Wayne, IN asked in Small Claims for Indiana

Q: I found out a friend who was keeping my parrots gave them to a rescue without contacting me to get them back.

She has not answered her phone and seems to have up and moved away. She gave them to a bird rescue, where he acknowledges the birds are mine (we messaged and talked by phone) but says I have to legally go after her, not him. I have proof in writing that this woman and I had an agreement and that the birds are indeed mine. The police say she no longer lives where she was. I tried working with the man who has the birds, as he helped me find and get back two others given to someone else, but now he's saying it's between me and this woman. The worth of the birds is approx. $1600. All the parties involved live in Indiana. He won't give me the name of the rescue but I have his name and phone number (he's several hours away from me). Thank you for anything I can do to recover my birds

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Based on the facts, it appears you do have a civil claim for approximately 1600.00 against your friend. The problem is you will need to locate her in order to effectively bring the lawsuit. Also, if you believe she lives in the state of Indiana, the lawsuit will need to be filed in Indiana. The written agreement can be used as evidence of the understanding between the parties. It is best you reach out to a civil litigator in the state of Indiana and provide them with a copy of the written agreement for review. They will be able to properly advise you of your rights with regard to the law in Indiana.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.