Sherman Oaks, CA asked in Tax Law for New Mexico

Q: If I was receiving Medicaid, and earned income far below Federal Poverty figure, how can I owe NM Gross Receipts tax?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Concetto Kirk Di Giacomo
Concetto Kirk Di Giacomo
  • Tax Law Lawyer

A: NM Gross Receipts Tax is a unique tax in that anyone who sells a good or service in New Mexico owes it. It’s similar to a “sales tax” but is only levied on the seller and not the buyer. While there are a few exceptions, unless you qualify for one of them and timely file an NTTC, you are responsible for paying this tax.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.