Orlando, FL asked in Personal Injury for Florida

Q: My 11 years is punch on the head and grab by the neck a 14 years old teenager. Can we sue them.

The teenager family just moved in to the neighborhood 2 months renting the house. My son walking home from the bus stop. This 14 years teenager grab him on the neck and punch him. My son is only 11 years. Is there any possible we can sue them.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Yes you can, but whether it would be worthwhile for an attorney to take your case is another issue that depends on various factors. If your son needed no medical treatment, most or all attorneys will not be interested. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area.

Also, if there is enough proof, the aggressor may be charged with a crime in juvenile court. For that, you must report it to the police as quickly as possible. Even if it's only "he said-he said", without any proof, just the mere fact that the police would talk to the aggressor's family might have a deterrent effect.

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Do the leases in the apartment complex require that the tenants carry renters insurance ? If so there may be a recovery source if you can establish that the parents were on notice of their child’s violent behavior and were negligent in not seeking psychiatric help for him.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.