Florissant, MO asked in Civil Litigation for Missouri

Q: I was at fault in an accident, no insurance. Who do I pay?

The other person told me at the scene they would sue me if I didn’t pay for the repairs within a week of receiving the estimate.

They sent me the estimate but it says their insurance covers it. So do I contact their insurance company to reimburse them?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar

A: A Missouri attorney could advise best on how an insurance carrier would handle this, as insurance practices are governed by state law. But your question remains open for two weeks, and you were concerned about responding to the other person in a week. As a general matter in many jurisdictions, auto insurance carriers will subrogate these losses, meaning they pursue the funds from the responsible party after paying their own insured. It looks like the other driver handled this as a first-party claim through their insurance. If you're concerned about things falling through the cracks, or the insured or their carrier hastily moving toward pursuing funds from you, you could contact them to let them know of your willingness to pay the repair costs as originally agreed. If you have questions regarding state-specific elements of exactly how this would work in Missouri, contact a local attorney. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.