Newark, DE asked in Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania

Q: mother left property to children. Older sibling ran younger siblings off, wants to now give to her children.

30 years ago my mother passed away leaving her property to all of her children. The property is still in my mothers name. Older sibling moved her family in and would not sign anything to place the home in all siblings name. Due to friction, other siblings moved out and older sibling stated she would pay the taxes, which she has. Now that she has raised her children in this home she now wants to move and leave it to her children. Is this possible? Its been long enough and I want my share.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Tarasi
Elizabeth Tarasi
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If the deed is still in your mothers name, she will have to go through the courts to transfer title to anyone else. You may also file an action to have the title be placed in the proper intestate heirs names.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.