Chicago, IL asked in Probate for Illinois

Q: My great aunt passed away and my brother and I are names are on the will, we haven’t seen the will and they wanted us

To sign a paper that was typed up and we didn’t do cause it wasn’t the actual will and now it’s a family fight and we don’t no what to do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bryan R. Bagdady
Bryan R. Bagdady
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Oakbrook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: If your Great Aunt died with a will - meaning she died testate - then a copy of the will is on file with the clerk of the court. You should go to the probate clerk and ask to see a copy of the file or the will. This will allow you to read the will for yourself and determine if the "paper" is an appropriate document for you to sign. If you don't understand the process, the will, or the paper, then you need to bring a copy of the will to an attorney and obtain legal advice. Sincerely, Bryan.

Nina Whitehurst and Tim Akpinar agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.