Portland, OR asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Oregon

Q: If the father has never paid child support does he have parental rights with no court order?

My son is two his father has never paid his child support and is now trying to get back in our lives. I believe this to be harmful to my son. Does he still have his rights?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Yes, he has the right to Petition the court to get visitation with his child. As part of any court order allowing visitation the court will also order child support. If you already have a child support order and he has not been paying, you can go to the local district Attorney and ask them to enforce the order. The courts generally don't punish people for not paying child support by denying them access to their children although in extreme cases that can happen but it is rare.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.