Oak Ridge, TN asked in Domestic Violence for Tennessee

Q: My husband got into a argument with his niece she hit him and he slapped her then her husband started fighting with him

The police was called by his mom just to get them to stop fighting but they arrested my husband on domestic assault is there anything we can do or can his niece and nephew have the charges dropped I am terminally ill and he is my caretaker he was defending his mom because his niece was screaming and cursing at his mom , ( her grandmother)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: The Husband needs to hire a competent attorney today. Under no circumstances (except some type of diversion) should he plead guilty to Domestic Assault. That Misdemeanor is worse than many Felonies, and will destroy his life. He also should not talk to the Niece. The Mother needs to get her story straight now. Understand it is the State's Charges, not any of you all's.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.