Sherwood, AR asked in Tax Law for Arkansas

Q: Shouldn't the Army have to notify me of taxes owed on moving costs in order for me to make the choice beforehand?

I recently moved from Utah to Arkansas to take a job as a civilian with the US Army Corps of Engineers. I had the Army move my HHG. I just got a debt collection letter from the Army saying I owed taxes on the amount the Army paid the moving company to move me (about $4,700 in taxes). None of the papers I signed or any of the info that I received from the Army prior to the move mentioned that I would owe taxes on the moving expenses. Otherwise I would have moved myself. Shouldn't the Army have to inform me that I would owe taxes on moving costs paid by them in order for me to make the choice?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: No, there's no requirement for them to advise you.

Attorneys literally protect you from stuff like this.

Find one you like and pay them to give you advice.

The only thing more expensive than an attorney is not having an attorney.

Sorry that happened to you.

I'd definitely try to find someone to take a look at it. It's odd that the Army would send you a tax bill. They can't collect tax.

Best of luck.

Andrew M Steiger
Andrew M Steiger
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • St. Clair Shores, MI

A: If the moving expenses are taxable fringe benefits, you would expect the cost of moving to show up in your W-2 as taxable income but I would not expect the employer to demand repayment of taxes unless the employer withheld taxes on your behalf and chose not to take the taxes out of your normal salary. The employer could pay those taxes for you and you might ask your HR to do so given the surprise large amount to you and the lack of communication on their part.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.