Scottsbluff, NE asked in Child Custody for Nebraska

Q: What is needed for parents to sign custody of their child to an aunt in Nebraska? What would the process be?

The child is living with the aunt and attending school where the aunt lives.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: There is a form called a temporary delegation of parental powers form on the Nebraska Supreme Court's website that parents can use to grant some limited powers to another caregiver for a limited period of time. It can be revoked by the parents at any time and it can last only up to 6 months. For example, this form may be used when parents are going on an overseas vacation and want to make sure the caregiver has the ability to consent to medical treatment or speak with the school if something comes up and the parents can't be immediately reached.

If you are looking for something more permanent, parents can give legal custody to another through a guardianship action. In this action, the parents need to be found to be unfit to care for the child. The Court enters an order granting the non-parent custody and it can only be revoked by a court order finding that a parent is legally fit to resume custody.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.