Ridge, NY asked in Estate Planning for Florida

Q: How long does it take to be appointed personal representative (executor) in Florida (Cape Canaveral)?

The will specifies one heir and same person to be personal representative (executor). Assets include a condo, bank accts and investment accts.

When can estate bank accts be created from the deceased's money to pay bills like utility bills, property taxes, condo fees etc?

When can can the heir/executor get reimbursed for money layed out (prior to being appointed) for funeral expenses, utility bills , condo fees, property taxes etc?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lauren Nagel Richardson
Lauren Nagel Richardson
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Gainesville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I'm sorry for your loss. Each county varies how long it takes the court to review the initial pleadings and appoint a personal representative. With the personal representative and the beneficiary being one and the same person, there will not be anyone else to give notice to, so once you have hired an attorney, the attorney has prepared the initial court pleadings and filed them, it may take between two to four weeks for the judge to sign the order appointing PR. Once the PR is appointed, then the PR uses a certified copy of the letters of administration signed by the judge, a death certificate, and a tax id number provided by your attorney to close the decedent's accounts and open an estate account. Once the estate account is opened, then reimbursements of out of pocket for estate related expenses can be made. There are many other steps after that, but that is a good summary of the beginning of the estate administration. Our office handles estates anywhere in Florida. We provide a free phone consultation and are very efficient with our time due to our many years of experience in probate matters. You are welcome to give me a call if you would like to discuss this case and get a fee estimate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.