Yreka, CA asked in Child Custody for Oregon

Q: Interstate Child Custody?

I'm a single mother of 1 year old twins. The father of the twins has done nothing to provide for his sons, never even texted to see how they're doing, and has only seen them about twice since their birth. I recently got the packet for child custody, however, I've heard that things work differently when the respondent lives out of state. I live in Oregon while he lives in California. What steps should I take?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: First of all you can go to the district Attorney in the county you live in and ask them to establish child support. They will do this for free. You can also file for child custody in the Oregon County you live in. You will just have to serve the papers on the father in California. Assuming that you and the twins have lived in Oregon for six months or longer, and there has never been a custody proceeding in California or any other State, Oregon should have jurisdiction to handle the custody matter. It would be wise to talk to an Attorney about your case before you file and have them review the forms you plan to file. Some Attorneys offer unbundled services so you don't have to pay them to take over your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.