Seattle, WA asked in Divorce for Oregon

Q: So responded to a petition for dissolution of marriage I got my daughter's birth years wrong.

Can I make a quick fix do I have to have it amended?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: It says that you are in Seattle. Is this case in Oregon or Washington? Is the other side represented by counsel? The technical way to do this in Oregon Courts is to file an amended version after getting permission to the other side. But frankly, although not technically correct, I don't think anyone would object to your filing a letter to the court that states that there was an error, that you wrote (repeat the incorrect birth dates) and you intended (put the correct birth dates.) However do be aware that in Oregon it is generally best not to list personal information including birth dates on pleadings that go into the public file. There is what is called a confidential information sheet (CIS) that can be filled and which is sealed from public view. Then in your main document in the space where you would list something that is confidential, you just put a note that the reader needs to refer to the CIS form that has been filed.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.