Eugene, OR asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Oregon

Q: I was served a motion to modify my divorce papers and child support from my ex in the state of Maine. I live in Oregon

I need to respond but not sure if I can go through my local county court office or if I have to file online or over the phone with the court in Maine? I’d like to consult with a family lawyer.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Look at the paperwork. If it is all related to a proceeding in Maine then you have to respond in the court in Maine. But if it is Oregon assisting a child support case from Maine then you may be able to respond in Oregon, most likely asking for an administrative hearing. The paperwork should clue you in if there is an agency involved from Oregon. Most likely it is just the court in Maine and you cannot use the Oregon court system to deal with a proceeding in another State.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.