Colorado Springs, CO asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Small Claims for Colorado

Q: I was divorced in Iowa in 2017 and recently moved to Colorado with my 13 year old daughter. My Iowa attorney is not

Following through with the contempt charges on my ex for his multiple violations of the divorce decree. He has not been responding to my messages or those from opposing council, regarding papers served to me requesting a modification in custody. I tried to meet with him while I was in Iowa last week but he never replied to my requests. It has been a very long, stressful, frustrating, and complicated divorce that I feel he no longer wants to be involved with.

I hate the thought of getting a new attorney and fear the cost will make it impossible, but I also feel that keeping an attorney who no longer has my back is equally as bad, and could result in not only financial consequences but consequences for my daughter. So my question if I get a new attorney can I work with one in Colorado or do I have to get an Iowa attorney. Would a new attorney have to take the time to read the 4 years worth of divorce records or could they just use supporting documents to address the issues I’m having

1 Lawyer Answer
John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Assuming your case is still in Iowa, you should get an attorney there. A new attorney is going to have to spend some time reviewing the prior filings. However, it may not be necessary to read every one. It depends on whether the old filings have anything to do with the current issues. However, some review is necessary to determine this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.