Munster, IN asked in Patents (Intellectual Property) for Indiana

Q: if I had an idea for a shape of bandage using hydrocolloid composition for a specific condition, could it be patened?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn
  • Patents Lawyer
  • Chapel Hill, NC

A: The short answer is maybe.

The answer hinges on how close what you are proposing is to things already done or suggested by those of ordinary skill in the art of treating that condition or in making bandage products. While relevant prior art is not just patents and published patent applications, that is an easy place to start searching. You can look at

for some tips on how to search patents.

In the end, you may want to speak to a patent attorney that does a lot of work with medical devices (I fall into this category). It may be prudent to augment your initial search with a search performed by professional searchers (often ex-PTO examiners). They provide the results of the search to the patent attorney and then you can decide if there is sufficient daylight between what you propose and the prior art that is easy to find for you to spend money to chase patent claims.

There may be some experimental bandage use in a PhD thesis for someone seeking a degree in biomedical engineering that we would not find with this reasonable and affordable search but it is the smart move. We cannot look under every rock before proceeding.

I hope that this helps.

Kevin E Flynn

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.