Reading, PA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Is it legal for grandparents to bully a single mom into signing over partial custody of her child to them under threats

My sister got pregnant and her boyfriend died from OD. His grandparents asked my sister to move in and offered her fancy cars and concerts. She moved in, had the baby, and is now struggling to stay sober. She has maintained FT employment and paid for everything. They let her live in their attached apt free. They now claim she is unfit based on little evidence since she stays with her biological parents half the time. They wrote up a "contract" and part of it was that she would sign over partial custody of the baby to them. If she refused they would take her to court, knowing she has not enough money to fight them. They also threatened to take and leave the baby at DCS and kick her off their insurance so she could not go to rehab. Is this legal? She had no legal representation when this happened, and it was signed in front of their lawyer .

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Your sister should contact the Reading Office of MidPenn Legal Services (presuming she is located where you are, per your question), and schedule an appointment with someone there to go over the "agreement" and her legal options. The contact information for that office is here:

Otherwise, she should locate her local "legal aid" office in Pennsylvania and contact them. Best of luck to her.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.