Granger, IN asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Michigan

Q: Can I move out of state with my kids when I just filed for divorce?

I filed Jan 3rd and have tried to get him to agree to letting me move just outside of michigan. I cant file a motion because I dont have the money for a lawyer to do it. I just want to know if I can get in trouble if I move with them anyways!

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Yes, the move could be used against you. Not wise to do so. If you cannot afford a lawyer at the moment, you should check in to your local legal aid office. Or, your courthouse may have a legal assistance center with forms available to file the required motion on your own.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.