Albany, GA asked in Criminal Law and Appeals / Appellate Law for Georgia

Q: What happens when a inmate did not get a initial appearance , preliminary hearing or arraignment but the court is ready

for trial in Georgia? What law and constitutional right was violated? He had charges in two counties for the same crime and have been sentenced in one of those counties. The lawyer was retained for both counties but did not do anything for the one that is ready for trial now, so he was fired. I do not know what to do to help my son now. The county he has been sentenced in has began the appeal process and no decision have been made yet.

1 Lawyer Answer
Priscilla T. Upshaw
Priscilla T. Upshaw
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Powder Springs, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Your circumstances are unfortunate. More information Is needed before an accurate answer can be provided. It is best to contact an attorney as soon as possible. It is I’ll advised to proceed without an attorney.

We are glad to assist you. Contact us whenever you are ready.

I wish you well.

-The Upshaw Law Firm, (770) 240-0922.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.